As you develop your marketing plan, realize there are 5 major components to good advertising copy: (The order in which these components appear is essential to success)
- Command Attention
- Showcase Benefits of Products/Services
- Prove the Benefits
- Persuade People to Embrace the Benefits
- Call to Action
Advertising is sales in print. So, you need to think about the unique benefits your products/services offer and showcase that in a persuasive way. You need to emphasize results, not features.
Let’s take a minute to talk about each of these components:
- Command Attention: This is usually accomplished with the headline. You need an attention-getter that makes people want to know more about your products/services. The best headlines give a vivid portrayal of the benefits or show how a problem can be avoided with your products/services. The headline is the advertisement for the advertisement.
- Showcase Benefits: Next, you showcase the benefits of your products and services and, more importantly, show how they will solve or prevent a problem. Potential customers need to know what’s in it for them. Include useful, factual and clear information to show precisely what the benefits are and how they are going to help them.
- Offer Proof: This is where you prove what the advertisement is offering. You need to establish you have a method to deliver. Consider information that establishes credibility and past performance.
- Persuade: You need to add compelling reasons for your potential customers to purchase your products/services. Use a hard sell approach and create scarcity. This will help motivate your potential customers to feel like they have to act now. Which leads to the last component.
- Call to Action: You need to compel your potential customers to DO something. They need to check out your site, sign up for your newsletter, purchase your products, contact you about services…something. Offer a freebie-a booklet, sample, product, bonus, demo, consult, limited time price…the list goes on. There are lots of ways to get potential customers excited about ordering and help them feel like they are getting an amazing deal.
Good advertisements include all of these components and are not complete without any of them. You can sit down and think through any one of these components, then figure out how to best place them together for the most effectiveness. Chris Mahan Consulting can help you with this too. Take a FREE guided tour of my E-Learning marketing System to learn how to put together great advertisements from some of the best in the business.
Chris Mahan is a marketing strategist and business development specialist. Using a five step profit formula, he can help any business discover low/no cost ways to immediately generate more revenue and increase profits. You can take advantage of his 10K Challenge, where he guarantees to find at least 10K in potential income for your business in 45 minutes or less. Visit chris-mahan.com to learn more.